April 20, 2023
Decoding Millennial Decision Makers: B2B Marketing Strategies for Winning Over the Next Generation3 min read
As a business-to-business (B2B) company, you want to make it as easy as possible for millennials to conduct autonomous research and support their decision-making process with timely and effective customer service. But how can you do this effectively? Here are five key steps to follow:
1. Build a website with robust information architecture: Your website should be like an onion, with information layers that allow potential customers to dive as deep as they want for information or skim for key points. A survey by Salesforce found that 59% of B2B buyers prefer doing research online instead of interacting with a sales rep, so make sure your website is optimized for easy navigation and provides all the information they need.
2. Be present on multiple channels, including social media: Millennials are used to interacting with companies on multiple channels, including social media. According to a survey by HubSpot, 90% of millennials use Facebook, while 53% use Instagram and 37% use Twitter. Ensure your company is active on the platforms your target audience uses and responds to comments and messages in a timely manner.
3. Don’t underestimate the value of in-person communication: Just because millennials are comfortable communicating online doesn’t mean they don’t appreciate in-person interactions. In fact, a study by The Center for Generational Kinetics found that 78% of millennials prefer face-to-face communication when it comes to conducting business. Look for common ground with your customers, whether it’s through pop culture references or shared hobbies, to build rapport and trust.
4. Focus on building a strong company culture: Millennials care about company culture and are more likely to do business with companies that align with their values. According to a survey by Deloitte, 67% of millennials believe that business should have a “positive impact on society and the environment.” Make sure your company’s mission and values are clear, and consider partnering with social causes that align with your brand.
5. Don’t be afraid to attend functions where millennials are hanging out. Sponsor video game tournaments, go to the hip after party with the DJ, hire a DJ for your conference after party, and consider attending events like Comic-Con or music festivals. Look for relevant online communities on platforms like Reddit or Instagram and engage with them. By showing up where your audience is and being genuine in your engagement, you’ll be able to build strong relationships with millennials and win their loyalty.
By following these five steps, you can make it easier for millennials to conduct autonomous research and feel supported by your company’s customer service. Remember, this demographic is a minority among those with purchasing power in the B2B space, but they can be powerful evangelists for your brand if you make the effort to connect with them on their terms.
- Salesforce, “State of the Connected Customer” (2018): https://www.salesforce.com/blog/2018/08/b2b-buyer-behavior.html
- HubSpot, “The Ultimate List of Marketing Statistics for 2021” (2021): https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics
- The Center for Generational Kinetics, “The State of Gen Z 2018” (2018): https://genhq.com/the-state-of-gen-z-2018/
- Deloitte, “The Deloitte Global Millennial Survey 2020” (2020): https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/millennialsurvey.html